Sunday, October 4, 2015

Misty Mountains and the Gates of Mordor

A 50% chance of rain actually happened today and I utterly failed at capturing how intimidating the gloomy mountains looked today. Rugged, towering and shrouded in clouds the mountains loomed over the surrounding desert.

I scuttled my planned hike and drove out Grapevine Hills road and on to Castolon to see the Cottonwood Campground and scope out where I will be living and working come November 1. Very nice! Cottonwood is a small, flat 24 site campground filled with  . . . you guessed it: cottonwood trees. Oddly, camphosts are situated across the main road away from the campers. It will be a change and I will just have to see how it goes. I'm looking forward to exploring the west side of the park for a while. :-)

It was fun to see javelinas again and the area is full of jackrabbits! The whole park this year is teeming with quail, roadrunners, cottontail & jack rabbits. I expect a spike in the population of coyote and other predators given this abundance of prey.





Millipede curled up as soon as I got too close.
I go back on duty Monday through Wednesday! The campground cleared out significantly today with the rain and the fact that folks have to back to work tomorrow. More soon. . .

2 comments:

  1. Hi Amy - Laurie Mink Johnson showed me where to find your blog. It seems you are having a great time in retirement(?). Check out the ZBTHS Class of 1970 Facebook page next week. It should be filled with pics from our 45th Reunion. Paul Paulsen

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete