Monday, November 18, 2013

November 13-17th

It is Monday morning and here is the sunrise this morning:
I've got the next few days off and today is a big day as the DISH network person is coming out to install a dish. I've already gotten the receiver box, but DISH operates off 2 satellites - one for the cable stations and one for the national networks. Very difficult for me to find one, much less 2 satellites. The lovely gig with free Direct TV ended the second day I arrived in Big Bend when the receiver account timed out! (What a revolting development! Thank you Darren & Heather for the wonderful year of service! I'll probably retire or sell my VuQube.)

Yesterday (Sunday) was also a day off as both Daisy & Steve and I planned to attend an open house over at Terlingua Ranch. I was so wiped out from Saturdays hike, though, that I stayed home and recuperated. My hike was part of my patrol duties, but I could not do the entire 6.2 miles up because of foot pain. Before I left home this fall I was diagnosed with a Morton's neuroma (always benign) in my left foot. It is simply a pea-size growth along a nerve between the 3rd and 4th toe. In my case when it gets aggravated it causes excruciating, fiery pain. Dr. Easley treated it with an injection but the first one did not help. Another couple of injections and aggressive use of ibuprofen may do the trick. He said he usually avoids surgery at all costs since it often severs the nerve and then I'd have numb toes. So one of my chores today is to seek a doctor in either Alpine or El Paso for the injections.

Besides a  little foot aggravation, I've been enjoying doing my patrols on my own. I told Daisy the little bird (me) was ready to fly on my own! My first day on my own I drove the Old Ore Road and the Dagger Flats Auto Trail. It was a great day and I only encountered one other vehicle on the Dagger Flats. By the way, it is named after the yucca that grows profusely in that area. Unfortunately, it was very overcast so photos of that day are not too impressive:
The ground at this end of the park is covered with a lovely lemon scented plant called limoncilla. Heavenly aroma! below are some of the sights and ruins around the countryside.




Friday was a good day to stay in closer to "home", so I patrolled the Rio Grande Nature Trail, the Boquillas Canyon Trail, Daniels Ranch, and the Port of Entry (POE). There were lots of visitors to chat with and I went back to the canyon trail and POE to cut down mesquite which was overtaking the paths. Most of the time we don't cut brush unless it is on a social trail like these. Social trails are heavily traveled by visitors of all ages. Rarely would other crews groom the backcountry trails as the visitors expect a totally "natural" experience.
Classic Heron Pose

I love the reflection!

Counting the babies.

Diving for breakfast.

Sun worshippers

Pink legs, green tummy!
Saturday was a fun patrol  of an area of the park that I've never seen because I never had a 4WD vehicle to get me there! I got to see Juniper Canyon road, the Robber's Roost and Twisted Shoe campsites, and the Juniper Canyon trail. The trail goes up into the Chisos mountains and intersects with the Boot Canyon trail. As I said, I think I hiked to about 1 mile shy of the intersection before I had to turn around and come back.
This was a most interesting ant hill - they had gathered some fluffy looking material (seeds?) that littered the area 1 foot around the entryway. At this time they were carrying the fluff down into the tunnels.









Saturday was capped off with a very nice potluck at our District Ranger's house. He and his wife, Nancy, had made all kinds of smoked meats and enchiladas and we all brought a dish to pass. Since I was short of time because of the long hike, I made my crackers with jalapenos, cheese and jelly and they were (much to my surprise!) a big hit. It was so nice to talk to everyone: border patrol, law enforcement, camp hosts, campstore manager and clerks, visitor center people and their partners. We even have some kids in the area. Ben and Nancy have a little girl who is about 8 months old and the store manager and his wife (Gary and Maria) and border patrol (Brian and Michelle?) have children. We have a cute children's park in the residence area so every once in a while the place comes alive with the sound of kids playing. Nancy takes her daughter, Marin, and doggie, Gobi, for daily walks. I always know they are around when I hear the clatter of the plastic stroller wheels crunching on the asphalt road. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment