Sunday, December 22, 2013

Golden Eagles - The Highlight!!

Today was a normal day on patrol - checking for trash under the Tornillo Creek bridge, stop in at a campsite to see if the current occupants had "rearranged" the barriers, north to Persimmon Gap and back again. But I came around a curve in the road and saw the most humongous bird take flight! I watched it fly way far away, playing in the thermals.

So imagine my delight when I came around a different turn in the road and ANOTHER(!) huge bird flew up from the roadside with something in its talons! I knew right away that it was a golden eagle. As a matter of fact there were two. After I shot a few photos from more than 200 yards they, too, flew up over the mountains and played in the thermals.


I love his pantaloons! (It is fuzzy because I was a long ways away.)

A raven enjoying a roadkill snack. . .
A lame Javelina by headquarters. I'll tell our park biologist and see what he says.

No comments:

Post a Comment